The early history of the village was closely related to the development of the Township of Emily, of which municipality it was a part until the year 1874. The growth of the village was dependent upon the growth of the surrounding country. As has been stated, the southern concession of the township were taken up by the Irish Protestants. Then in 1825, came another group to these parts, known as the Peter Robinson Immigration.
Items of historical interest covers the erection of the lock-up, the purchase of the first fire engine, the purchase of coal oil lamps for the first street lighting, licensing of hotels, pool rooms etc., roads and sidewalk construction, and many other pertinent details.
There are over 130 pictures scattered throughout the text and dozens of old photographs, made available.